Wednesday 19 March 2014

Puffed Wheat Squares





This is my favourite recipe for puffed wheat squares. I have been making this recipe for years for my family. I got the recipe from "The Best of Bridge" cookbook.  I think I can eat a whole pan to myself. When I have parties I often make a big platter of puffed wheat squares, Rice Krispies squares and Cornflake cookies and adults and children gobble them up in no time!! This is definitely one of those timeless recipes.


Ingredients:


½ Cup butter

1 Cup corn syrup

1 Cup white sugar

¼ Cup brown sugar

6 Tablespoons cocoa powder

1 teaspoon vanilla

10 Cups puffed wheat




In a large heavy pan combine butter, corn syrup, both sugars and cocoa. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, being careful that it is not too high!! Boil this mixture for about 2 minutes stirring constantly and ensuring that you do not burn or scorch the bottom of the pan. Turn off the heat and add vanilla. Stir in 10 cups of puffed wheat. Mix well. Press mixture into a greased 9x13 inch pan.




Print Recipe:Puffed Wheat Squares

Combine butter, corn syrup, both sugars,and cocoa over medium  heat.

Bring mixture to a boil and stir constantly for about 2 minutes. Make sure the mixture does not burn or scorch the bottom of the pan.

Turn off heat. Add vanilla. Stir in ten cups of puffed wheat.



Press puffed wheat mixture into a greased 9x13 inch pan. 

Allow to cool before serving.
Cut into squares to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment