Saturday 28 February 2015

Pulled Pork Sliders





I love Chef Rob Feenie, and I have all of his cookbooks. This recipe comes from his cookbook "Casual Classics".The pork is rubbed with a spice mixture and then cooked slowly in a 250 degree oven for 8-10 hours. I put the pork in the oven right before I go to bed and then "presto" the meat is ready to be pulled!! I simplified a few items after making this recipe a few times. Chef Feenie makes his own BBQ sauce and vinaigrette for the coleslaw, but I prefer my favourite store bought brands instead. The Napa cabbage is so wonderful and I now prefer it to regular cabbage after making this coleslaw.

Ingredients:

3kg pork shoulder or pork butt (with bone if you can find one)


Dry Rub:

1 Tablespoon ground cumin

1 Tablespoon garlic powder

1 Tablespoon onion powder

1 Tablespoon chili powder

1 Tablespoon cayenne powder

1 Tablespoon black pepper

1 Tablespoon paprika

½ Cup brown sugar ½ Cup Kosher salt

(You will not use all of this on the pork. Store unused portion in a jar, or divide recipe for rub in half).

Combine all the rub ingredients.

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

Rub the pork generously with the spice mixture.

Place the pork in a roasting pan. Cover with foil or lid and cook for 8-10 hours. I did this before I went to bed and in the morning I woke up to the wonderful aromas of yumminess!

Allow pork to cool a bit, then pull the pork into individual pieces.

I divided the pork in half and placed one portion into a resealable plastic bag and froze it for another meal


Continuation of Ingredients:


BBQ Sauce (homemade or your favourite)

BBQ Sauce mayonnaise (2-3 Tablespoons BBQ sauce +½ Cup Mayonnaise)

Small soft buns


Napa Cabbage Slaw


4 Cups shredded/or thinly sliced Napa cabbage

2 Cups shredded carrots

1 Cup sliced green onions

Kraft Coleslaw salad dressing


In a oven-proof dish combine pulled pork and ½ Cup of BBQ sauce. Cover with aluminum foil and warm the meat in a 375 degree oven. Remove once heated through. Set aside.

Combine slaw ingredients. Add desired amount of salad dressing to the vegetables.Set aside.

In a small bowl combine 2-3 tablespoons of bbq sauce with ½ Cup of mayonnaise. Set aside.(I like lots of mayo so I doubled the mayo and bbq sauce)

Slice buns and warm them up in the oven.

Remove buns from the oven. Slather each half with bbq mayonnaise. Top with desired amount of pulled pork. Drizzle a little bbq sauce over the meat. Top meat with the Napa slaw. Enjoy!


Print Recipe:Pulled Pork Sliders
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. 

Combine spice ingredients,

Generously rub spice mixture all over the pork. Cover with a lid and place in oven for about 8-10 hours.

Put remaining spice in a small jar to store.

Remove cooked pork from the oven. Remove pork from the pan and allow to cool a bit before pulling.
Pull the pork. I divided mine in half and put in a resealable storage bag and froze for another time.
Place the pork in a ovenproof dish and add 1/2 Cup or more of bbq sauce and heat in oven just prior to making sliders.

Make bbq sauce mayonnaise. I make a lot because I love mayo!

I really like this dressing for coleslaw.
Prepare Napa slaw.


Warm buns in the oven and then slather with the bbq sauce mayonnaise.


Top with pulled pork and drizzle more bbq sauce over meat.

Top the meat with Napa slaw.


No comments:

Post a Comment